Tuesday, July 19, 2011

2011 Women's World Cup in Germany




Until we went out to eat & my friend saw on TV screen that Japan had just won in OT against Germany, I never knew that Women's Wold Cup was going on. Because they beat Germany, they had a game against Sweden a week later, and I could watch the whole game. Then, because they beat Sweden, I could watch the whole game a week later against US for the final. I even didn't know that there was a Women's World Cup! Baseball & Soccer are both very popular in Japan but I remember I watched only MEN's, not the WOMENs'. Japanese always have problems in those games they need lots of energy & speed, like Soccer, running that big field for at least 90 mins, with a bit of break. Just because they are smaller/shorter. Because they eat fish which helps to prolong your life than eating red meat but the meat usually gives boost & energy to young people, for shorter time, like in US, even it isn't healthy in a long run. Many Americans don't know all this but this is what Japanese always say. But maybe shorter people even here in the US have experienced in school, competing with TALL classmates in PE. I heard that Japanese team was the shortest in World cup, and Swedish was the tallest. I saw Swedish players just pushed and Japanese fell a couple of times through the game... That's why Japanese hardly ever win those games, track, etc. which you need speed & lots of energy, but they sometimes win, like gymnastics. So this was a BIG accomplishment for them!! I favored US, BUT I was shocked and CRIED after Japanese team won, because I could feel how All Japanese felt. For US, those people who were involved, winning the world cup is their dream come true too but soccer isn't as popular here, as it is in Japan. Probably most Americans only cared about "winning" the Gold/Cup, as a fellow American. But for Japanese, it's different, not only Soccer is very popular, but esp. this year, after 311. yes, I learned from my mother they call that earthquake & tsunami, "311" in their conversation (like 9/11), cuz the name of that earthquake is long. ... If they didnt' lose over 24,000 (?) people on ONE DAY in that Peaceful country after WWII, I probably didn't cry, but said I was shocked, and still be happy cuz I usualy root for Underdogs. lol. But of course, even US won, I would've been happy too :-) I luv to watch the game as long as it's exciting & very close, and as long as referee doesn't call the penalties wrong. The game was so exciting & very close. As Wambach said in her interview after the game, it looked as if it wasnt' meant to be, after missing several goals in the first 20 mins. or so when US was dominating the game & had numerous opportunities. Watching the first 20 mins., I thought US would win, like everybody expected by 2-0, if not more. Even US won, I wanted SAWA, the captain to score at least ONE to get Golden Boot (as the tournament's top scorer), so that at least, Japan would have something to be happy about. But not only she took World Cup & Golden Boot, she was also named as the Player of the Tournament (Golden Ball)! Many people might've forgotten about 311, but still across Japan is suffering from shortage of power due to 4 reactors aren't working. I heard that the team couldn't practice due to no light at night. I heard that one player lost 4 friends at once. I heard one's best friend working for that damaged nuclear power plants, not knowing what would happen next, and couldn't make it to Germany to cheer for her. Last night (US eastern standeard time), the team returned Japan, being welcomed by so many, incld. their prime minister, and he even said that he was encouraged by them (by those little girls, compared to the prime minister!), to NEVER GIVE UP. :-) I am too. :-) On lighter note, I'm impressed with them cuz Japan is still a MAN's world, NOT women's. My mom always get surprised whenever she sees American Ladies in spot light from Political to financial arena. I don't recall Japanese MEN's soccer team ever went to finals at world cup even they have Professional MEN's soccer LEAGUE in Japan. My mother told me that slowly but steadily she sees more women in business, management, politics. So, me as a woman, I'm also happy with this result! :-) The typhoon is approaching Japan as we speak, and has already hitting the southern part of Japan, with torrential rains... when this happens, the mudslide usually occurs, and people get killed... Japan really needed the emotional lift. Japanese had 25 games against US, and never won before, and they won this World Cup! I even gave up after US scored 2-1, but team never gave up. The winning money will go to the victimes from 311, according to a team member. At least hers, she said. Those victims from home was her biggest motivation. Before I close this post, I just want to add that I was amazed Megan Rapino's footwork when she kept the ball, Hope Solo & Wambach's interviews after the game. They are great girls & great teams! :) Congratulations to Japan, and thank you all for the great game, both US & Japan! :-)

3 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Your post really touched my heart! I was so happy to hear that Japan won the World Cup...it's actually AMAZING!!! This is a much needed lift for people in Japan!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Hope the typhoon is not severe at all. xoxo

Gerri Herbst said...

very inspirational post.thanks for posting it...I learned so very much. gerri

Sandy Ang said...

There was no telecast of the games here so I didn't catch it. But have heard it's a very good match. Thanks for the review, I'm going to see if I can find it on youtube.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...